Jazzart Dance Theatre is a transformative contemporary African dance theatre company. It is rooted in a deep and reflective understanding of the world.
We aim to build on a 40-year history of transformative practice that continues to challenge dance status quo and social stereotypes through training, performance and inter-disciplinary collaborations with diverse role-players. This is to develop multi-skilled performers and creative work that promote excellence, innovation and social change.
Call: Expression of Interest
Jazzart Dance Theatre invites suitable qualified and skilled practitioners to submit Expressions of Interest for the position of Artistic Director to lead and develop the company’s on-going contribution to dance training, performance and creative excellence. The Artistic Director is expected to build on Jazzart’s 40-year history of transformative practice that challenges the dance status quo and social stereotypes through training, performance and inter-disciplinary collaborations with diverse role-players. The aim is to develop multi-skilled performers and creative work that promote excellence, innovation and social change.
Key performance areas include:
• Inspire and enthuse artists, audiences, funders locally, nationally and internationally with quality and creative performances, partnerships and collaborations.
• Evolve the Company’s Training Programme in line with the company’s artistic rationale focusing on education and creative learning that is deeply embedded in Jazzart’s ethos of excellence.
• Provide integrated contemporary dance training, capacity building and other interventions through the fostering of partnerships with community groups and institutions.
• Provide a platform to develop contemporary dance skills, dialogue and performance excellence for professional dancers, performers, teaching and practitioners.
• Play an active role in securing funding, including contributing to fundraising applications and maintaining relationships with key funders. Inspire new funders through the expression and delivery of a compelling artistic vision.
• Accurate monitoring and reporting to the Board of Directors, funders and partners is an integral part of programme management and delivery.
It is vital that the candidate is committed to the highest performance standards, work ethics, human rights values; and to an engaging and respectful management style with an understanding of Jazzart’s commitment to cultural diversity, equality and social transformation.
The Expression of Interest, of no more than 3 pages, should include the following:
• Your experience and strengths aligned with the above-mentioned key performance areas
• Examples of how you have used the role-related skills to deliver results
• Your envisaged contribution to the development and future success of the organisation
• A CV and/or portfolio should be included.
Deadline: 31 October 2014
Contact Person: Averil Barry-Hughes @ (021) 410 9848
Jazzart’s vision is to be a leading transformative contemporary African dance theatre company rooted in a deep and reflective understanding of the world. Founded in 1973, Jazzart is acknowledged as a leading South African contemporary dance theatre company renowned for its award winning dance choreography and performance. Its dance training have produced sort after dancers and dance practitioners employed in various local and international capacities. Many graduates run their own dance organisations and are teaching in schools, communities and academic institutions.